Thursday, April 28, 2011

Final Reaction Paper


Lindsay Corley
Final Reaction Paper
EDT 630
Dr. Wang


            I think the discussions in this class are definitely an effective learning tool.  By responding to a class discussion online, it gives the student the opportunity to provide a thoughtful response, which leads to a more in-depth discussion.  Furthermore, an online discussion allows those students who are not comfortable speaking in front of a group the chance to contribute to the conversation.  In order for a discussion to be an effective learning tool, I think that everyone must participate, and an online discussion is one of the best tools to provide this opportunity. 
            One of the difficulties I have experienced with this type of discussion is that online conversations are some times hard to “read” the emotion or tone of the response, which might lead a participate of the discussion to misconstrue what is being discussed.  Also, there is definitely a time lapse in an online discussion, which might contribute to some unanswered responses and/or questions. 
            I do not think it is difficult to critique peers’ work in an online discussion.  In fact, I think it is quite the opposite because you are given time to absorb projects, and compare/contrast projects in your group.  It is not a time-limited response, but rather, more of a thought-provoking response and/or critique.  Because the critiques are well thought out, I absolutely benefit from my peers’ critiques.  I believe this is one aspect of an online discussion that “saved me,” and helped me receive good grades.  It is always helpful to get a different perspective from someone regarding an assignment. 
            One of the main strategies I have developed since beginning work on my Masters is to check Blackboard often.  I did not check the discussions enough when I first began my Masters, and missed some discussion and requirements from the professor.  This happened once, and it never happened again!  I learned quickly, and check it at least every other day, if not every day.  Another strategy in online discussions is to make sure you participate in each discussion.  This is a cliché, but absolutely true, that you will get out of the discussion what you put into the discussion.  Your peers will respond to you if you participate, and participate often!  This goes for the project critiques as well.  You will get thoughtful critiques if you give thoughtful critiques. 
            One strategy I use to ensure that my peers are not offended by my critiques is to make sure that what I say will positively help his or her project.  You do not want to give unwarranted criticism that the peer cannot fix or improve.  Also, I always try to end the critique with positive things to say about the project.  You can always find something good in a project, just like you can find ways to improve the project. 
            Overall, I feel as though online discussions are really an effective learning tool.  I hope to incorporate online discussions in my teaching in the near future.  We are actually investigating a program called Moodle, which I hope to incorporate in my curriculum this next year.  Moodle allows for online discussion that is very similar to Blackboard.  Online discussions are a way to bring class discussions into the 21st century, which makes the discussion seem more relevant to the students. 
                      

No comments:

Post a Comment